| Go to Thornbury Site |  

Services

Staff

Facilities

Obituaries

Support and After Care

Contact

Our Pledge

Home

“Over a Century of Service”

Back in 1875, Robert Helstrop began a business in the bustling town of Meaford known as R. Helstrop Furniture and Undertaking. The business was situated on the west side of Seymour Street now known as Sykes Street - just south of the bridge.

Until 1925 the business was carried on by Robert’s son, Alfred E. Helstrop -or “Pikey” as he was known to most in the community - after which time the business saw a number of operators including Messers. Norque Young, J.W. Horsley, Bumstead, Findlay and Miller, and T.W. Findlay.

G. Donald Ferguson purchased the business in 1941. Thus began the Ferguson Funeral Chapel which, with the addition of Don’s brother Arthur to the ownership following the War, saw the firm expand to Ferguson Brothers Funeral and Ambulance Service.

In 1963 the business relocated to its present location at 48 Boucher Street East, the former George C. Albery residence where it evolved as Ferguson Funeral Home Inc.

Upon the death of both Don and Art in 1982, Don’s son Allan known to most as ‘Gus’ - assumed ownership and directorship of the firm.

In 1984 Allan acquired the funeral home operation in the neighbouring Beaver Valley community of Thornbury which is now Ferguson Funeral Home (The Valley Chapel) Ltd.

He was assisted by Funeral Directors Shawn Smithson and Kevin Almond who continue to serve in the management of the independent firms today.

- The Circle of Service Continues -

Kevin Frederick Almond, a great-great nephew of Alfred E. Helstrop, acquired the Ferguson Funeral Homes following Allan’s death in 2000.

The dignified service established by the Helstrop family in 1875, carried on with compassion by the Ferguson family since 1941, is perpetuated now as Kevin’s daughter Johanna Hayward, having graduated with Distinction from Humber College and obtaining her Ontario Funeral Director’s License in July 2007, now joins Shawn and her father Kevin in the family practice providing service with sincerity to all in the community.